A Local Habitation - Seanan McGuire Oh, I'll just pick this book up to have something to read while I eat dinner! SIX HOURS LATER: Welp, I guess I finished the book.

Yes, this book telegraphed its twists from miles away. I figured out what was up with Alex and Terrie the moment Terrie showed up, and I was pretty sure I knew how the murders had happened, even though I didn't know why. But this book still kept me up way past my bedtime reading it. It's like a bottle episode/locked-room mystery/horror movie, where the characters are all trapped in one place and you know one of them must be the killer, because they keep dying, one by one...

In the previous book, Toby was convinced she had very few friends, and it took a long time for her to realize that people cared about her. So the friendships in this book are particularly refreshing. I love her interactions with the Luidaeg, but the real treat is getting to spend more time with Quentin. I like that Toby doesn't pull any punches with him, letting him see exactly what her investigative work entails, even when it's horrific. He feels like her apprentice, and I hope later books expand on that relationship.

I think maybe the plot of this book would have worked better for me if I had never seen a certain Doctor Who episode, but the world of Faerie keeps getting more intriguing, and I'll definitely be picking up the next book in the series.