By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead - Julie Anne Peters, C.J. Bott Reviewed from an ARC I got at ALA.

A bleak book, but not quite as bleak as it seems at first glance. Yes, it's about a suicidal teenage girl (Daelyn Rice), who suffers cruel bullying (and worse things) throughout her life, counting down the days before she will make her final suicide attempt. But there is some humor, through the character of Santana, a boy who refuses to give up on his attempts to befriend Daelyn. He often jokes and flirts with her, and has an optimistic spirit that isn't daunted by Daelyn's lack of response to his advances. There is also hope in the story, as Daelyn, through writing about the worst moments of her life on an online suicide forum, gains a new perspective on them and discovers she still has some will to fight her tormentors.

The ending is frustrating because it's one of those [b:The Giver|3636|The Giver (The Giver, #1)|Lois Lowry|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51R8AA8QEVL._SL75_.jpg|2543234] ambiguous endings. I felt a little cheated--I would have liked to see the story go on a little more, and provide a real resolution to the plot. But in my opinion, Daelyn's character development throughout the story points to an uplifting ending, as by the end she's learned she has more to live for than she first thought.