Hold Still - Nina LaCour This book is really, really good. I didn't give it five stars because it didn't completely blow my mind the way something like Jellicoe Road did, but it's a quality book. I might have given it four and a half stars if that were an option.

One thing I LOVED about this book is that the main character, Caitlin, is a photographer, but she's also a carpenter. How often do you see that in YA books, especially in girls? So many characters are artists or writers, but building things is a rare hobby in YA girls. I loved seeing that represented.

This book also has a great lesbian character. The fact that she's gay is just a fact about her. It never becomes a problem or an issue, aside from some teasing by the other kids at the school. Books about GLBTQ issues are certainly necessary and there are some quality ones out there, but books that just have GLBTQ characters in them are equally important.

Sometimes I find suicide in YA books boring, because I feel like it's been done to death, no pun intended. But this book, about those left behind in the aftermath of a suicide, is compelling and quietly beautiful. I never felt like any part of it was unrealistic or a stretch to believe. It all just felt natural. Highly recommended.