The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss SEQUEL NOW, PLEASE. *grabby hands*

This book takes a while to get going. Give it, oh... one hundred and fifteen pages (finish chapter sixteen). If you're not hooked after that, I can't help you.

It's hard to describe this book as a whole because it contains so many stories and spans a long period of time. Throughout, though, it's compelling and beautifully written. When I got close to the end, I slowed down, because I liked it so much I didn't want to have to stop reading.

Despite this being a traditional Hero-Quest Fantasy (tm), it manages to both be refreshingly original while also deftly weaving in elements of other stories. I'm particularly fascinated by the way the story of the god Tehlu paralleled the Christ story, and the way the Chandrian are described. It reminds me of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, which also has a great fictional pantheon.

I was kind of expecting to dislike this book because it is a traditional Guy Fantasy that doesn't pass the Bechdel Test, but it was so well-written that I didn't care too much. The female characters manage to have actual personalities, which I did appreciate (although they are all super attractive, but it's pointed out that this is Kvothe telling his story, and he saw them all as beautiful). My favorite was probably Auri, the girl who lives in the Underthing. I want to hear more of her story.

The one complaint I have about this book (besides that there's not enough of it) is that there's no way this entire story could have been told in one day. Come on. Nobody talks that fast.