Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne Okay, I need to go cry for like five hours now.

This book was pretty amazing. I think it lived up completely to the promise of the first book and I think I even like it better than the second. I'm sure I'll have more detailed thoughts later when I've had time to recover from the -OMG OMG OMG-.

Actual star of this book: Buttercup, Y/Y? (Real/Not Real?)

ETA: Things I loved (a partial, not-too-spoilery list):

- The etymology of "Panem" (I am a word nerd)
- The explanation for Snow's blood-breath
- The Team Peeta/Teem Gale resolution
- Buttercup (some more)
- Finnick
- Real/Not Real
- Castor and Pollux (Their NAMES omg) (I am a word nerd AND an astrology geek)
- Boggs
- Everything about the ending after the big spoilery thing happens that I won't talk about (And that I was SPOILED FOR, because people on the internet don't THINK before they SAY THINGS *shakes fist*)
- The fact that Katniss kept coming back to thinking about the ordinary people, the people on the ground (or in the mountain), who weren't major players on either side, and how they got stuck in the middle of all the politics and fighting through no fault of their own
- The surreal quality of having everything filmed and edited like a reality show ("That's a wrap!")
- Crazy Cat
- THE HANGING TREE SONG. SO MUCH OMG.

I can't say I LOVE the physical torture and mental torture and people dying in horrible ways, because it makes me cry and threatens to give me nightmares, but I love that it's there, and I love the way it's written. Collins pulls no punches. This isn't like Harry Potter where he's been kept under the stairs his whole life but shows remarkably healthy mental development. This is actual horrible shit happening and people getting really fucked up because of it. I kept having to take breaks during reading to go do something light and fluffy for a while.

Is it ever okay to become your enemy in order to defeat your enemy? What if you can't win unless you are as brutal and heartless as they are? Where is the line between acceptable and unacceptable violence? Justified and unjustified war? At what point, in fighting evil, do you become evil yourself?

I honestly think these books will be classics. Read over and over again for a long time. Their themes resonate deeply and their images stick with you long after you've put the books down, like the names of the dead Katniss will never forget.