Chimes at Midnight - Seanan McGuire Every time I finish one of these books, I want to go back and read the entire series to look for clues I've missed. I love the way each book answers some old questions and raises new ones, enriching and expanding the world of Faerie. And I love the Luidaeg, so much--the way she's slowly becoming a bigger part of the mythology that underpins the series, the glimpses we get of what she was like before we "met" her, and her unusual friendship with Toby. I could read an entire series just about the Luidaeg.

So did anyone NOT know who Quentin's parents were since long before they started this book? Yeah, I didn't think so. It was still cool to find out, though, and we finally get some of the answers to one of the questions that's been unanswered since the first book--that is, WTF is up with the Queen. Not ALL of the answers, of course, because that would be too easy.

New characters in this book: Arden Windermere is pretty awesome. Madden was delightful in his own doggy way--I loved him looking forward to a ginger biscuit. Mags, the Librarian, was great and reminded me of a lot of librarians I know: she's always hoping someone will ask her a really interesting reference question.

Things still unsolved: What's up with Marcia looking like she's seen a ghost when she encounters Arden? Who was the old Queen really, and why did she never tell anyone her real name? What did Eira do that was so awful? Is Toby really part human or was she born truly Fae (as Arden and the Luidaeg imply), and if she's the latter, who is her actual father? Why did Amandine withdraw to her tower? And, I'm sure, a bunch of other things that I'm forgetting.

Also, how do you REALLY pronounce Luidaeg? That pronunciation guide in the book is obviously fucking with us. "K" is not a syllable.

I think this will turn out to be one of my favorites in the series.